Stressful city life, intake of calorie rich food coupled with junk food habits, irregular food timing, lack of exercise and sedentary lifestyle and sometimes impaired body endocrine systems are only a few factors that are responsible to excessive wait gain or obesity – one of the burning lifestyle problems of urbanization.
Though the ancient art of yoga has been around us for centuries, a new utility of yoga focusing on toning and slimming the body has recently emerged that has been gaining immense popularity across the world.
The concept of losing weight permanently in a yogic way without having any side effect uses a technique by combining yogic postures (asanas), deep breathing (pranayama) and meditation (dhyana).
Yogic postures (asanas) meant for weight reduction focus on raising metabolic rate of the body by influencing endocrine systems that are responsible for hormonal secretions inside the body. Regular yoga practice stimulates all internal glands including the thyroid to increase hormonal secretions. This increases fat metabolism leading to permanent and gradual fat loss in addition to better muscle tone and increased vitality. Yogic practices that reduce anxiety also tend to reduce anxious eating – one of the main causes of obesity.
The deep breathing techniques used in yoga (pranamaya) increases oxygen intake of the body cells, including that of fat cells. Increased oxidation inside the cells leads to burning calories apart from making one overcome stress and anxiety.
Meditation (dhyana) makes one aware and confident of oneself, believing that yoga will really help him /her in reducing weight – the faith that psychologically influences the body and mind to shed extra fat, investigate this site.
- Yoga asana that are specially meant for weight loss are Paschimottanasana, Bhujangasana, Halasana, Dhanurasana, Veerasana, Trikonasana and Ardha Matsyendrasana.
- Thyroid patients, who have gained weight abnormally because of hormonal imbalance due to impaired thyroid systems, may benefit immensely by practicing Sarvangasana and Matasyasana.
- Sun salutation (Surya Namaskar) is one of the potent yogic exercises that are found to be very helpful in weight reduction.
- Breathing exercises (pranayamas) such as Kapalabhatti, Anuloma-Viloma and Bhastrika not only help in reducing weight but also help in achieving a better muscle tone and endurance.
- Kriyas that cleans the body namely Vaman Dhauti and Shanka Prakshalana help in reducing weight effectively.
Among all weight management programs available today, yoga offers the best approach to control excess weight – the approach which is gradual and for good, without any side effects. Yoga tones the body in a uniformed manner, unlike other “weight loss program” that decreases weight abruptly, leading to dangerous after effects. Many choose to integrate yoga with other aerobic exercises to achieve weight loss goal.
However, a very strong determination – the spiritual and mental quotient of yoga becomes imperative while trying any weight management program. Changing one’s way of thinking and gearing one’s mind towards feeling better about oneself and being convinced that s/he will be successful in his /her weight loss mission is very important to shed extra pounds in a yogic way.